Volunteer With Us
Being a Citizens Advice volunteer can be hugely rewarding and enjoyable. Citizens Advice Greenwich provides a range of volunteering opportunities and welcomes people with the time and interest to learn new skills and practice existing ones. There are many ways that you can get involved and please see below for information about current volunteer roles.
Current Volunteer Vacancies:
- Do you want to help the community where you study, live or work?
- Do you want to make sure you and your neighbours get the advice you need now and in the future?
We’re looking a new Trustee/Treasurer to get involved in leading our charity and helping us develop our advice services.
Citizens Advice Greenwich is an independent charity and company, but also benefits from being a part of the national Citizens Advice service. We help people to solve problems. Our service provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.
We provide advice services to people in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Services include generalist and debt advice, as well as the Universal Credit Help to Claim service. We deliver the Seafarers’ Advice and Information Line, which provides advice to seafarers and their families across the U.K.
How much time do you need to give?
The Citizens Advice Greenwich Trustee Board meets on Monday evenings six times a year. There are other occasional meetings. You’ll be likely to need to give around 2 hours six times a year for Board meetings and you may need to attend other meetings if you’re involved in specific projects or meet with volunteers and staff occasionally within the local Citizens Advice. We can be flexible about the time spent and how often you volunteer so come and talk to us.
Please see full role description and how to apply in the below link
Hours Required: Ideally we ask for two days per week, for at least 18 months. We can be flexible so come and talk to us. Attendance on Tuesdays is required for group training over a 3 month period. The second day in the office can be negotiated if you start with us.
We are currently recruiting volunteer trainee advisers, to provide advice to people living in Greenwich.
What’s in it for you?
- make a real difference to people’s lives
- learn about a range of issues such as benefits, debt, employment and housing.
- build on valuable skills such as communication, listening and problem solving, and increase your employability
- work with a range of different people, independently and in a team.
- have a positive impact in your community
What will you do?
- complete an introduction to Citizens Advice and training for your role
- talk to clients over the phone, face to face, or online to explore what problems they’ve come for help with
- find information about the clients’ problems and help them to understand their options
- support clients to take action to resolve their problems. This might include drafting or writing letters, making phone calls, or referring the client to another organisation
- write a summary of the clients’ problems and what action you’ve taken
- look out for problems’ that are common, or are unfair, and write a short report about the problem or a letter to an elected official like an M.P. or local councillor
Paid Roles With Us
We require a full-time Senior Adviser to support and supervise our advisers at the Seafarers Advice and Information Line (SAIL). You will be working alongside the existing SAIL Debt Casework Supervisor and SAIL Senior Adviser and managed by the SAIL manager. There is a small team of paid advisers at SAIL, with no volunteers at present. SAIL is based in Central Greenwich, near the Cutty Sark. Regular travel for publicity and training purposes is required.
- Full-time position
- 35 hours per week
- Permanent contract
- £31,310 p.a. (not linked to NJC pay scales, no Outer London Weighting)
CV's are not accepted, please see application pack for details:
Please return completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date for applications – 8th February 2022 @ 8.30am
- Interview date – 22nd February 2022